Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Villa Farnese and Villa Lante


Villa Farnese is located in Caprarola and sits on the very top of the hill overlooking the town.  The Villa is shaped like a pentagon with a round courtyard in the middle.  The building itself is surrounded by beautiful gardens and sits on top of what is left of the original fortress that was built there. 



We started our tour with Marco through the summer apartments.  Each room is named for something different and has a ceiling to match the name. The ceilings are painted in a Grotesque style, which I have found that I do not like.  It’s too busy.  In the building though I found myself only taking pictures of the ceilings.  I could not wait to get outside to the gardens.







The gardens were very pretty.  There was a really pretty fountain at the top of the hill.  I have found that I really enjoy taking pictures of textures and flowers. It’s fun playing with the different features on my camera.  So I wandered around taking pictures on my own before lunch time.






After lunch, we took the bus to Villa Lante.  The Villa is known for its amazing gardens.  We only saw 2 actual rooms of the Villa itself, because it is under renovations.  The Gardens were beautiful.  There is water that flows all the way from the top of the hill to the bottom, filling fountains and streams with its trickling water.  






No comments:

Post a Comment